Image Map

Control by Lydia Kang: Review


16718816
Title: Control
Author: Lydia Kang
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Buy This Book: Amazon / Book Depository

When a crash kills their father and leaves them orphaned, Zel knows she needs to protect her sister, Dyl. But before Zel has a plan, Dyl is taken by strangers using bizarre sensory weapons, and Zel finds herself in a safe house for teens who aren’t like any she’s ever seen before—teens who shouldn't even exist. Using broken-down technology, her new friends’ peculiar gifts, and her own grit, Zel must find a way to get her sister back from the kidnappers who think a powerful secret is encoded in Dyl’s DNA.

A spiraling, intense, romantic story set in 2150—in a world of automatic cars, nightclubs with auditory ecstasy drugs, and guys with four arms—this is about the human genetic “mistakes” that society wants to forget, and the way that outcasts can turn out to be heroes.


I was so excited to be able to read Control, I mean, seriously excited. I requested it on Edelweiss and waited for so long that I was sure I wouldn't get it. So you can imagine my excitement; there was squealing, when I was finally accepted for it. But, I can't even begin to describe my disappointment that this became a DNF at 25%.

I just really, really couldn't get into this one. It jumps straight into the action, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I just didn't care about or really know the character. When Zel's father dies I feel like I am expected to feel something, anything for her but I didn't.

Disconnected. That seems like the most appropriate word to describe how I felt about the book. I just felt so disconnected from everything. I didn't like Zel too much from the offset, I didn't feel like I knew anything about her or her family. As the book went on I didn't feel like it gave me much else to go on and my opinion didn't change at all.

Another problem was that all the summary's that I had read hadn't given too much away. It talks of 'special gifts' and I am not really sure what I was expecting, but people with two heads or four arms wasn't it. I was a little thrown by that.

I couldn't continue on with this one. I felt nothing for Zelia or Del, I didn't care whether they found each other. I didn't care about the romance that was blatantly going to eventually happen between Zel and Cy. I was so unbelievably excited for this and am really sad that it just didn't work for me.

DNF at 25%

*I received a copy of this novel from the author/publisher/publicist via Edelweiss in exchange for a free and honest review and received no monetary compensation for this review.


15 comments:

  1. Oh man that's the worst! Sorry! I saw this and was really excited about it but now I'm not sure :-/

    S.Huston @ Head In The Clouds
    http://readbookswilltravel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might work for you, you never know. I just couldn't get into this one.

      Delete
  2. Darn it! I just heard a fascinating interview on NPR about how the next step in data storage should be storing it in human DNA, since it would be an incredibly compact, efficient way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw an article on that, it sounds so unbelievable and mind-blowing!

      Delete
  3. Aw, that sucks! I hate it when I can't get into a book. It's extra disappointing for you since you were so excited about it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Hopefully I will fare better with the next book I read :)

      Delete
  4. Sorry it didn't work out! I hate it when that happens! Well, I'm not the hugest Science Fiction fan anyway, so I don't think I'll read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually okay with science fiction, just really couldn't get into this one.

      Delete
  5. Sorry this left you feeling disconnected, I haven't been super drawn to this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't get into this at all, hopefully I will fare better with the next book I read.

      Delete
  6. Ha, that "people with two heads or four arms" part makes me want to read that book now :D I never expected such a thing either but now I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I was so confused by that but it did seem unique. Hopefully you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  7. Man, that's sad. Sorry it was disappointing for you! I thought it sounded really interesting, but now I will definitely stay away. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried. It's a shame because I really liked the sound of this one.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.