Image Map

Boys Like You by Juliana Stone: Review

Boys Like YouTitle: Boys Like You
Author: Juliana Stone
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Buy This Book: Amazon / Book Depository 

One mistake.
And everything changes.
For Monroe Blackwell, one small mistake has torn her family apart –leaving her empty and broken. There’s a hole in her heart that nothing can fill. That no one can fill. And a summer in Louisiana with her Grandma isn’t going to change that…
Nathan Everets knows heartache first-hand when a car accident leaves his best friend in a coma. And it’s his fault. He should be the one lying in the hospital. The one who will never play guitar again. He doesn’t deserve forgiveness, and a court-appointed job at the Blackwell B&B isn’t going to change that…
Captivating and hopeful, this achingly poignant novel brings together two lost souls struggling with grief and guilt – looking for acceptance, so they can find forgiveness.

I keep notes now when I read a book, it makes reviewing it easier and helps me remember specific parts I liked, disliked or want to quote. Now, on average, most books will have 3-4 pages filled with notes, but Boys Like You just got one. I can't decide if that's because not very much happens in it or because I just didn't really have many feelings about what happened in it. It was an okay read, but I guess it just didn't make me really invest in the story.

Monroe has gone to spend the summer with her Grandmother in Louisiana, and it's clear that she is dealing with a death that she feels somehow responsible for. But we don't know the who, why, where, when or what as far as that event is concerned. I liked that mystery surrounding it and the wanting to discover and find out more about Monroe and what she had done. I thought her pain felt realistic and how she handled it, for the most part, seemed realistic too.

This book is told in both Monore's and Nathan's point of view, which I think was really important for this story. This allows you to get inside Nathan's head and see exactly how he feels about what he did and how much responsibility he feels for driving drunk, resulting in his best friend being in the hospital in a coma. Their romance kind of falls into the insta-love territory but when you take into account what they are both going through it kind of makes sense why they instantly connect. They both seem to latch on to eachother because they recognise their own pain and suffering in the other, and I guess when you feel all alone in that it must be nice to find someone you think might actually understand what you are going through.

This book got a little preachy nearer the end, and I really, really, really hate being preached too. It just went a little too much into the God aspect when it came to what they went through. It was basically saying that if anything bad happens in your life then that's on you, not God... but, wait, if anything good happens in your life then it's God doing it for you. I mean, come on, please don't get me started on that logic and don't preach to me, don't need it and don't want it. Clearly, me and religion in books just don't get on.

My other main issue with the book was the romance. It wasn't bad or anything, it was just a bit too much for me. This is so sickly sweet and romantic, especially nearer the end, and I know it will have so many people gushing and swooning. I'm just not one of those people, I'm not. I come from a family that go out of their way to buy funny birthday cards for each other instead of the gushy, gag-inducing ones. So, technically, that isn't a problem with the book it's more a problem with me. I can't handle when a romance gets too heavy in books and the whole I love you down to my soul crap.  I actually cringe when I read that stuff, but I know a lot of people will really love that aspect of it.

2.5/ 5 Butterflies

I was going to give it a three, which would be that I liked that book but had some problems with it. But, ultimately, this didn't leave much of an impression on me. I almost forgot to review it and only remembered I'd read it after seeing my notes in my book. It was an okay read, but it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I thought it would make me feel something for the characters and their situations, but I didn't. I thought I might get wrapped up in the romance aspect, but I didn't. It just wasn't what I was expecting at all. I don't like being preached at and I don't like when a romance makes me cringe. I feel it's one that just wasn't for me, but others may absolutely love. 


*I received a copy of this novel from the author/publisher/publicist via Netgalley in exchange for a free and honest review and received no monetary compensation for this review.

18 comments:

  1. I wasn't blown away by this book either. I thought it was okay, and good enough to read as a 'filler' book between reads. I think others may love it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it felt to me too, it was okay but nothing special.

      Delete
  2. I didn't like this book. I just felt so bored and sometimes when I was reading it, it felt like I was missing something. I don't know if, it's because I was mentally blocking stuff out or if it was the writing. But I wanted to DNF it so badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't feel too bad, it didn't keep me that interested either. But, it was a short read and only took me a couple of hours to get through so I think that's why I didn't mind it all that much.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your honest review of this book. I think this book I will skip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was completely the opposite with this read - maybe it was one of those ones that I loved due to my mood when reading it?? Not sure why but I was one of the ones gushing and swooning, big ol romantic me! lol http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/review-boys-like-you/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm terrible because I am hit and miss when it comes to romance. It takes a very special romance for it to work for me. This one was layered on too thick for me to enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Aww...I'm sorry this wasn't something that blew you away. :( I can definitely see where you're coming from though. When you finish a book and come back with an overall sense of "meh," that's never a good sign! :( I completely get where you're coming from though. Even though I'm pretty religious myself, I never enjoy when books are so preachy. I like subtle, yet powerful messages, and this doesn't sound like one.

    And it's a shame you weren't able to connect with the characters. :( Characters are so crucial for liking a book, and if you can't connect to them, that definitely makes the whole book fall a bit flat.

    Anyhow, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this one, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After thinking on it, I think this one was more deserving of a 3, I was a little harsh. But, overall, it did just leave me with a meh feeling, I didn't feel much of anything myself. Yup, this one was definitely not subtle.

      Delete
  6. You take notes?! Gosh you're GOOD. I'm so lazy I barely even take photos on my iPods of quotes I want to remember. I just lie around and read...hehe. ;) I was kind of looking out for this one, but that preachiness? Nope. Just nope. I definitely hate lectures and flawed lectures are the worst. Probably will be on my skip list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAVE A HORRIBLE MEMORY! It's a terrible thing when you read over 100 books a year, you barely remember any of them by the end of it. Notes help me remember what I really liked or disliked at one point or another. I had being preached too, I don't know why but I really do.

      Delete
  7. After reading your review, I'm going to pass on this one. The story sounds familiar and if it's not done well…way too many other books to read. Sorry this one didn't work for you. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For me it just wasn't that great. I enjoyed it a lot at firs but it just went down hill quickly after that.

      Delete
  8. I've seen this one around before and the synopsis caught my attention. It's too bad that you didn't like it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can understand what you mean. I doubt I will pick this book up anymore now... I think too much romance is no fun, and if it's nothing spectacular I doubt it is worth my time.

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/05/a-thousand-splendid-suns-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really wasn't worth my time, I wasn't won over by this one at all.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, it always makes my day! Because of time restraints, this is now an award free zone but thanks so much for considering me! Feel free to leave a link to your own blog and I will come visit.